Contact Us

Helping You Achieve Your Goals Since 1981
Seiler, Singleton & Associates, P.A. has been serving the Washington, NC community and surrounding areas for nearly 40 years. Our commitment to our clients’ success is what has made us a trusted source for tax, accounting, and advisory needs. Our team of experienced professionals and CPAs strives to provide the highest values of accounting and advisory services to our clients while maintaining an extraordinary level of personal attention.

From payroll and income tax services to bookkeeping and consulting, our team is dedicated to helping you succeed. We are more than just a public accounting firm. We are a team that strives to achieve your goals with you.

Frequently Asked Questions

What do you need to prepare my tax returns?
Most non-business taxpayers will need to provide copies of Forms W-2 and 1099 that they receive in January and February. Other items include statements for charitable contributions, property tax payments, mortgage interest statements, and health insurance information. To help gather their necessary documents, we give each of our clients an organizer at the beginning of the year. Additionally, we always want new clients to provide a copy of their prior-year tax return to help ensure that we have all the documents necessary to prepare a complete return. New clients will also need to provide a limited amount of personal information, including dates of birth, phone numbers, and email addresses.
Who can I claim as a dependent?
You can claim a qualifying child or a qualifying relative as a dependent. In some limited circumstances, a non-relative will meet the requirements of a qualifying relative. There are certain requirements to meet to claim a dependent as a qualifying child or a qualifying relative.
Do I need to keep track of my medical expenses?
Typically, medical expenses are difficult to deduct. Medical expenses are part of your itemized deductions, so non-itemizers cannot deduct medical expenses. If you do itemize, you are limited to only deducting unreimbursed medical expenses above a percentage of your adjusted gross income. Because of this income limitation, you usually either need to have a lot of medical expenses or not a lot of income to deduct medical expenses.
How long should I keep my tax documents?
You should keep your tax documents for seven years, and your tax returns forever. Additionally, documents related to property ownership should be kept if you continue to own the property. This answer may be enough for most personal tax returns, but a business can accumulate thousands of documents over a seven-year period. To help narrow down what documents can be disposed of earlier than seven years, we have prepared a record retention guide.

Click here to download our guide.

Do I need to pay estimated tax payments?
Generally, your tax withholding on your wages should be set at a level to cover your taxes for the year. If you own a business or have significant non-wage income, that may not be practical. In this case, estimated tax payments may be necessary to avoid underpayment penalties. Estimates must be made quarterly and are due on the 15th of April, June, September, and January.
How can I save on taxes?
Taxes differ greatly depending on the individual’s situation. We provide business and personal tax planning to give individualized, personal tax plans utilizing tax savings strategies for your situation.
How much will it cost to prepare my tax return?

We do not offer verbal quotes or estimates for tax return preparation services. Our tax return preparation fees start at $1,000.

What filing status should I use?
There are currently five filing statuses supported by the IRS and states; Single, Married Filing Jointly (MFJ), Married Filing Separately (MFS), Head of Household (HOH) and Qualifying Widower. Your filing status is determined on December 31st of the tax year, except in the year of death of a spouse, in which case your filing status is determined as if the spouse were alive all year. Most married individuals must file MFJ or MFS, regardless of whether their spouse works. In some cases, a legally separated individual may file as single or HOH.

The Qualifying Widower filing status can be used by widowed individuals two years following the death of a spouse if the widowed taxpayer has a dependent child.

There are advantages and disadvantages to all filing statuses. A tax professional can help you determine which filing status works best for your individual situation.

Contact Us

If you are wondering how our services can help you, give us a call. We will be happy to show you the benefits of making you a part of our team.

We are located in beautiful downtown Washington, NC, on the corner of West Second and North Respess Streets, just a few blocks away from the Pamlico River.

*Note: Messages sent using this form are NOT confidential. Avoid sending highly confidential information or private information through this system.
144 W 2nd St
Washington, NC 27889

Contact Information:



Business Hours:

8:00 AM - 5:00 PM

8:00 AM - 12:00 PM